Regional Human Resources Manager/Business Partner - West Region (Bay Area)
Reports to: Director of Human Resources, Americas (based in Arlington, VA) and Regional Chief Operating Officer
Ramboll (www.ramboll.com) has an immediate and exciting opportunity for an experienced Regional Human Resources Manager/Business Partner, based in the Bay Area of California, to support offices located in our West region. Our West region currently covers offices in California (Emeryville, San Francisco, Novato, Irvine and LA), Washington (Seattle, Lynnwood, Bellingham and Vancouver), Arizona (Phoenix), Colorado (Denver and Fort Collins) and Utah (Salt Lake City), comprising an employee population of ~300). This position serves as a consultant/partner to the Regional Chief Operating Officer concerning HR-related issues, and acts as an employee advocate and change agent. The successful business partner will form trusted relationships and deliver value-added services to management and employees that reflect the strategic business objectives of the Americas division, West region and/or the individual business units. The successful candidate must maintain an effective level of business literacy with respect to financial performance within the region and individual business units.
In addition to serving as a business partner, this hands-on position is responsible for overseeing a wide variety of tactical HR functions for the region including, but not limited to, benefits administration and communication, compensation and payroll administration (ADP), HRIS (Workday), employee relations and retention, immigration, performance management and performance review processes/goal setting, talent acquisition and on-boarding, and talent development. The business partner supervises one HR Generalist (based in San Francisco) who also supports the region and provides HR-related oversight and training/instruction/support to Office Managers/Administrators in the region.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partners with business unit (BU) management to provide advice, counseling and coaching regarding HR-related matters; schedules regular meetings with BU management to remain abreast of performance and other strategic issues within the various business units in the region.
- Provides regular HR support and guidance to the Regional COO. Consults with line management, providing HR guidance when appropriate, and works with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention.
- Provides guidance and support with respect to resolving complex and sensitive employee relations issues. Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations. Assists with the development and delivery of performance counseling/improvement plans and provides support and guidance with respect to disciplinary action/terminations as needed.
- Manages regional HR Generalist, who is responsible for creating employee data records, recruiting activities, onboarding, and payroll/benefits administration, among several other duties.
- Remains abreast of general employment laws and trends as well as specific state regulations in the West region (California, in particular).
- Interprets and communicates Firm policies and guidelines and ensures that existing policies comply with local employment and related laws and regulations.
- Oversees the performance management/development process for the region.
- Participates in regional (or business unit) HR/compensation planning meetings and oversees annual compensation process (verification of accuracy and timeliness of spreadsheets) for region.
- Leads talent acquisition efforts for the region. Oversees job postings for region and sources/screens candidates. Works with HR Generalist to coordinate campus recruiting activities with a focus on diversity and inclusion. Negotiates and communicates with external recruiters as necessary. Drafts offer letters and conducts background and reference checks.
- Handles immigration issues for the region (e.g., H1-B and green card applications) working with outside counsel and management.
- Creates/conducts HR-related training and coaching for Principals, Managers and Consultants (e.g., interviewing skills, conducting performance reviews, giving feedback).
- Creates/conducts upward feedback surveys and works with management on creating action plans to support results.
- Compiles HR-related information and data for proposals. Understands elements of Affirmative Action Plans.
- Trains and provides guidance to HR Generalist and Office Managers/Administrators within the region (who are responsible for ensuring that new hire/termination/change of status paperwork is completed at or before the time of action).
- Understands details of all benefits plans and can confidently communicate benefits information and support to employees in the region; may explain benefits, answer questions, follow up on issues/problems, and complete paperwork for leaves of absence and disabilities. Conducts annual open enrollment briefings.
- Participates in Americas HR team meetings and responds to periodic requests for information regarding regional personnel.
- Serves on internal committees and supports company-wide HR initiatives.
- Oversees workers compensation issues and claims for the West region.
- Supports the Americas HR Director with integration of new locations within the region.
- Works with Regional COO and business unit managers on action plans to address results of annual employee satisfaction and engagement survey.
- Performs special projects as assigned.
Required Experience and Education
- Requires a minimum of seven (7) years of progressive HR generalist/HR business partner experience, including benefits and compensation administration, employee relations, affirmative action, performance management, recruiting and training/development.
- Experience with employment laws in the State of CA as well as local regulations and ordinances is required.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business or a related field; advanced degree preferred. HR Certification (particularly CA-related certification) is strongly preferred.
- Experience serving as a resource to highly educated/scientific and engineering employee population in multiple locations desired. Background in a professional services/consulting firm strongly preferred.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and negotiation skills as well as strong written and verbal communication skills. Must also possess strong problem solving and conflict management/resolution skills and be able to serve as a trusted advisor to management and employees.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate and work with senior leaders as well as general employee population.
- Strong business acumen and the ability to lead change.
- Familiarity and/or experience with various HRIS and payroll systems (e.g. ADP and Workday); must be extremely proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word, Excel and Power Point. Experience with SharePoint/OneDrive a plus.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to research, analyze and organize information and data.
- Good judgment and the ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
Ramboll is a leading engineering, design and consultancy company founded in Denmark in 1945. The company employs more than 14,000 experts globally and has especially strong representation in the Nordics, UK, North America, Continental Europe, Middle East and Asia-Pacific. With 300 offices in 35 countries, Ramboll combines local experience with a global knowledge base constantly striving to achieve inspiring and exacting solutions that make a genuine difference to our clients, the end-users, and society at large. Ramboll works across the following markets: Buildings, Transport, Planning & Urban Design, Water, Environment & Health, Energy and Management Consulting. Ramboll is a people company where you and your colleagues contribute to a sustainable future working in an open, collaborative and empowering culture.
In the US, our nearly 2,000 professionals offer Environment & Health, Water, Energy, Advanced Manufacturing, and Planning & Urban Design services from more than 75 offices. For each engagement, we assemble a team of relevant experts who work together with clients to deliver technically sound solutions that also create value for our clients and support a sustainable society.
The Regional HR Manager will provide primary support to the Environment & Health market in the West Region, and, as Ramboll expands in North America, will provide HR support to new markets. Globally, Ramboll Environment & Health is comprised of 2,350 Environment & Health consultants, across 130 offices in 30 countries who represent a wide variety of engineering, scientific, public health and regulatory affairs disciplines.
Ramboll is an equal opportunity employer of minorities, females, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Ramboll will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the Fair Chance Ordinance.
Arbejdssted Emeryville, CA